City Heights Farmers Market {Fresh Produce Bag for $15}


Last Saturday I went to the kitchen to make coffee and realized as soon as I went to open the cupboard door that I was out and forgot to pick it up on our grocery run the previous day. I was close to crying. You see... I think I have an addiction. But I don't see anything wrong with it (my husband might). There's even studies that show the benefits of coffee. But that's not the point of this post...

Being out of coffee and in dire need I grabbed the car keys, grabbed a kid and headed to the nearest Starbucks. This Starbucks just happens to be right across the street from where the City Heights Farmers Market is held. And as soon as I was done placing my order for a pumpkin spice misto and an OJ for my friend in the backseat I looked over to see that the farmers market was there (side note: sometimes being a WAHM means that I don't necessarily know what day of the week it is).

I hadn't been to the City Heights Farmers Market since it first started. And the only reason why I hadn't been back was because it was just so small I couldn't purchase all of the produce I wanted to. So I continued going to the North Park Farmers Market on Thursdays. I do have to say that it's grown quite a bit! It is still a smaller farmers market but since the first day it opened it has expanded and I was able to find everything I needed.

The farmers market is held on Saturdays from 9am to 1pm and is located on Wightman between Fairmount Ave and 43rd Street (just south of University across from the Albertsons parking lot). There is free parking right across the street. As soon as we got to the market my son found some hula hoops to play with and kids coloring. He immediately gravitated to the kids area and played for a bit before we went around to shop.

When I told him he could choose any fruit and veggies he wanted his whole face lit up. We quickly found a vendor selling a mixed basket of pears and plums and E looked like he was in heaven. By the end of the day the pears were gone and only 1/2 of the plums were left. My boy loves his fruit! He also enjoyed picking up a bag of kettle corn to bring home to Daddy.

And of course there is fresh produce; all pesticide free and sustainably, locally grown. And now you can buy a produce bag for $15. This is the whole reason why I decided to write this post. I got so excited when I saw the little flyer that listed what all was included in the bag. The Produce Bag includes a variety of produce from the farmers who sell at the market (including 6 eggs) and includes $20 worth of produce for $15.


Order your bag by Friday at 5pm and pick up Saturday during the market. For more information or to submit an order, please email produce.bag@gmail.com. This program is funded by CDFA and Roots of Change.

I've also heard that they have an exchange program where you can bring the extras from your home garden to sell at the market for 80% of what it sells for. That's pretty good! And when we finally get our garden started in the front yard I hope we have an overabundance to share! I will have to do a bit more research about that program but hopefully I can post about it soon.

So if you're in the area on Saturday head over and check out the City Heights Farmers Market! And don't forget to email in your order for a produce bag. And check them out on Facebook.

0 comment(s) with love: