Smarties Sugar Cookies {Halloween Recipe} #IAmASmartie


I love when I can take something that I love and create something equally as great. Smarties are one of my favorite Halloween sweet treats and I love passing them out to trick-or-treaters. Not only are they gluten-free, they're free of most allergens and are low in fat as well. But in this recipe they are most definitely not gluten free. Nor are they low in fat...

By pulsing the Smarties in a food processor I created a flour and used the Smarties in a family sugar cookie recipe. I simply reduced the amount of sugar called for in the recipe and subbed the Smarties flour. The end result was fantastic! A not-too-sweet sugar cookie that was definitely flavored by the Smarties. Yum!

And perfect for any Halloween party coming up. We baked them up for our parish festival's bake sale and they were quite a hit. Three to a bag with a few Smarties thrown in. Who could resist? Here's how to make them:

Smarties Sugar Cookies
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup Smarties, about 20 rolls
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
  • 3 1/2 cups flour, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt


1. Unwrap the Smarties and place them in the food processor (I first tried to crush them with a rolling pin with no luck).


2. Pulse the Smarties in the food processor until ground to a fine dust. 


3. Measure out 1/2 cup of Smarties flour.


4. Cream the softened butter, sugar, and Smarties flour in a stand mixer.


5. Add in the egg, vanilla, and corn syrup. Mix well until combined.


6. Sift together the flour and salt.


7. Add the flour mixture into the bowl one cup at a time until combined.


8. Turn the dough out onto some plastic wrap and wrap tightly. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.


9. When the dough is done in the fridge, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the dough into strips and then into squares. Roll each square into a ball. I created 1" balls so that the cookies would be small. Feel free to increase or decrease the size of the cookie dough balls.


10. Place the cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet and smash down into a flat circle with a glass cup.


11. Sprinkle with some nonpareils (optional) and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.


12. Let the cookies cool completely on a rack before indulging, about 5-10 minutes.


13. Plate (or bag up) and enjoy!


This recipe makes about 70 1" diameter cookies. It can easily be doubled. You can also cut out shapes with cookie cutters by rolling the dough into a flat sheet after taking the dough out of the fridge.

Want to see what else I've done with Smarties? Check out this awesome DIY Smarties Wreath on my blog post here

What's your favorite sweet treat this Halloween season?

Disclaimer: I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Smarties. All opinions are my own. #CBias #SocialFabric

6 comment(s) with love:

Literary Winner said... Reply To This Comment

Wow, what a great use for Smarties! I've never heard of this recipe and will be saving it for future reference. :)

Lena B said... Reply To This Comment

Nice. Can I please have a bag of these shipped right to my desk where I spend most of my time looking at food

Greta said... Reply To This Comment

Smarties + Sugar Cookies= WIN! This combines two of my favorite things. I may have to try these.

Amanda @ Survival Guide said... Reply To This Comment

Yum! What a great way to use all the Halloween candy the kids get!

Ashley S said... Reply To This Comment

Very cool! Loving the colors, and what a great way to recycle Halloween candy :)

Allyson Bossie said... Reply To This Comment

I don't personally like Smartees, but my husband loves them and so do the kids! I know they would love these cookies, thanks for the recipe